Training for legal concealed carry in the District of Columbia (and Maryland)
You DO NOT have to be a resident of the District of Columbia or Maryland and you no longer have to provide a good reason or need to carry a handgun. However, the training requirements required in their regulations must be met.
The course meets the training requirements of the District of Columbia and consist of both classroom and range instruction:
- 16 hours of classroom instruction ending with a 50 question exam.
- 2 hours of range instruction including shooting a qualification course of 50 rounds of ammunition from a maximum distance of 15 yards, and receiving a qualifying score of 70% as certified by the instructor.
Visit our course calendar for dates, times, locations, and to register.
OUR COURSE COVERS THE FOLLOWING:
- Firearm safety, including firearm safety in the home, a discussion of prevention of access by minors, locking and storing of firearms, and use of safety devices such as secure lock boxes;
- Firearm nomenclature;
- Fundamentals of marksmanship;
- The care, cleaning, maintenance, loading, unloading, and storage of pistols;
- Situational awareness and de-escalation, conflict management, and moral and ethical decisions on the use of deadly force;
- Defensive pistol and ammunition selection;
- malfunction clearances and tactical movement;
- Registering a firearm in DC and applying for the DC Concealed Pistol Carry License;
- Drawing from a concealed holster;
- Gun retention and takeaways;
- Firearm and and equipment selection and maintenance;
- Concealment options; and
- All applicable District and federal firearms laws, including the requirements of the Act, An Act To control the possession, sale, transfer, and use of pistols and other dangerous weapons in the District of Columbia, to provide penalties, to prescribe rules of evidence, and for other purposes, approved July 8, 1932 (47 Stat. 650; D.C. Official Code § 22-4501 et seq.), and District law pertaining to self-defense.
WANT TO GET THE MARYLAND WEAR AND CARRY PERMIT?
We conduct the 16 hour Maryland Wear and Carry Course, simultaneously with the 16 hour DC Concealed Pistol License Course. To register, visit the course calendar page and click on the course date for DC CPL Course / MD Wear and Carry, you'll have the option to submit payment for the Maryland Wear & Carry training; DC Concealed Pistol License training or Combined Course for both DC & MD permits. In addition to the content covered in the DC course, we will cover Maryland Law and conduct the Maryland live-fire qualification with students that have registered for the MD Wear and Carry training.
Having a gun doesn’t make you armed anymore than having a guitar makes you a musician